Saturday, December 22, 2007

Year-end reflection

Well, this year has been a complete suckfest, and I don't mean that in the good way. In February, I twisted my ankle over hard, and have been in an ankle brace ever since. At various points during the year, I have injured my gastrocnemius, my hamstrings, my quads, my back, and a groin muscle (this last one was the most tragic, coming as it did less than two weeks before my anniversary).

The most recent injury was to the tendon that comes out of the back of my knee into the gastrocnemius. The injury happened at work – I was stepping down off a step, and felt something snap just below the back of my knee. As it turns out, it was just a hyperextension of the tendon, and I'm off running for a couple of weeks.

Now, I'm just sitting around gaining weight while I wait to be able to start running again. I'm doing stretching and some heat treatment, while taking Tylenol. I can't take ibuprofen any more, due to the unfortunate effect it has on my stomach.

Sometime after the first of the year, I'm going to start running again. Meanwhile, I'll just reflect on the past year and try to think of ways to avoid injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment