Saturday, May 08, 2010

Been gone so long...

I haven't been updating very often, mainly due to a lack of time on the computer. Lets see, where to start...I had surgery on my ankle in December, 2008. 2009 was a recovery year for me. I gradually ramped up the mileage in 2009 and ran my first race on Thanksgiving Day, 2009. Since then, I've been in a few races and shown some improvement. I'm still wearing a brace on my ankle which prevents me from bending my ankle when I run. Obviously, this prevents me from running naturally. I'm gradually increasing the amount of running I can do without the brace


Recently, I ran in the Flower City Challenge Half Marathon. The race was on a Sunday. Friday at work, I developed a slight cough, which by Saturday morning was more severe. Sunday morning, the weather was cool and rainy. Perfect distance weather, around 50 degrees, a very light, misty rain, more hanging in the air than falling.

At around 4 miles, right in front of the George Eastman House (and International Museum of Photography) my cough began to get worse. My chest felt full and tight, and breathing became difficult. Naturally, I was forced to slow down, and it lasted until about 10 or 10.5. For the first time, I was forced to stop and walk in a race. Afterward, I felt terrible, and inside the lobby of the War Memorial Arena, I was waiting to see some of my friends and I was shivering and my teeth were chattering. After a short time, I decided to get home and try to warm up.

The next morning, I went in to work. I felt like crap and left around 9 am. Tuesday, I tried to get back in to work, and again left by 10 am. After leaving, I went to the doctor and found out that I had come down with pneumonia. Of course, I was out of work Wednesday, and I gave running a bit of a rest. Yesterday, after almost two weeks of not running, I went out for about 4.5 miles. Thursday of this week, I got out the bike and rode home from work.

I'm starting again to run, and I hope to be racing in the Phelps, N.Y. Sauerkraut 20K this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment