Saturday, June 05, 2010

Trail Run

I went down to a local park today for a trail race.There were three races today; a 12 miler starting at 8:30 and a 4-miler and 8-miler both starting together at 9:00.

I wasn't sure until Wednesday that I would be able to run today; and by that I mean physically able to run, at all. I showed up and signed up to run the 4 miler. I was not ready for an 8 miler today. Anyone in the 4 and 8 could switch to the other race if they wanted to, since the race was over a 4 mile loop. At 4 miles, either the course marshals misunderstood me, or I misunderstood them, and I went around again. About half a mile into the second loop, I realized what I'd done.

I've never DNFed a race, ever, so I went around again. Long story short, I finished in 21st place overall and 6th in my age group. there were 9 in my age group and 42 in the 8 mile race. So I guess I did OK, for someone not ready to race 8 miles.

Seriously, this is the longest run I've done since my pneumonia I contracted during a half marathon in April. You're not supposed to race a longer distance than you run in training.

No comments:

Post a Comment