Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Race Report #2 -- A Post-Heart Attack PR

Another race day. July 4th, races all over town. I chose the one which starts and finishes in front of my house. A 5k, almost perfectly flat. I was planning to go out in about 7:00, in an attempt to keep my heart rate down below 150. I did manage to keep my heart rate below 150 for the first mile, but my mile split was not 7:00. I crossed the mile marker in 6:36 and immediately began to slow down. I did go up over 150 for a brief period during the second mile, but slowing down to a bit above 7:00 pace got my heart rate back to where it's supposed to be. My 2 mile split was a little bit below 14:00 (not sure exactly what it was, because the 2 mile mark caught me by surprise). For the third mile, I felt good, so I picked it up again. My pace overall was 6:52, with a final time of 21:16.

I was 8th in my age group, and a little bit over two minutes behind the age group winner. I think I can improve on that. By the end of the summer, I think I could be a minute faster over 5k.

2 comments:

  1. Egads! I think that's faster than my 5K PR, no heart attack involved.

    Um, I'd say you're back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I guess physically I'm back, but it's really tough to push myself. Mentally, I know that I'm holding something back, which I guess is normal.

    ReplyDelete