Friday, January 23, 2004

Starting Over

Well, I've decided to start an online training log. For a variety of personal and medical reasons, I haven't done any running in about 6 years, so I'm starting almost from scratch.

Today, I ran at 7am in midtown Atlanta. After warming up, I covered about 2 and a half miles, in 16:39. The streets were dark, the temperature felt like about 30 degrees, and the wind got fierce. I felt pretty good, though, especially the last mile. I'm not sure, but I think I ran negative splits on this run.

I'm going to look around at some more courses in the midtown/downtown area this weekend.

About me: I'm 43 years old (born in 1960) and for the last 6 years, I haven't really done any running or racing. I started running when I was 12 years old, and racing the year after. I ran on my high school and college cross-country and track teams, but I always liked cross-country better. On the roads or in XC, I could stay interested in the running; while I was on the track I would get bored easily. anything more than a mile on the track and I would lose my concentration. My best 10k was a 34:21, on the roads. My best 5k was a 16:10, also on roads. On the track, my event was the 800m. In 1982, I ran a 1:58.5 800. Not the fastest man on the track, but not too bad. I think if I could have concentrated on the longer races, I could have run a much better 5k or 10k than I did. My problem with the track is mental.

About four years ago, I relocated to Atlanta. I now live in the suburbs to the north of the city. I've joined a gym in the Midtown Atlanta, and plan to work out at least three times a week, and maybe get back into racing.

Personal Bests:

800m 1:58.5
1500m 4:04.7
5K (Road) 16:10
10k (Road 34:21
Marathon 3:32:30

No comments:

Post a Comment