Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Quick report

It's been several days since I've been on the computer, and I can't remember everything about the race, so the race report is a short one.

I woke up Sunday, and the weather was cool, about 45° and misty. Electra and I went out to breakfast (french toast, my pre-race breakfast since 1978), and could see a storm moving in. Low, black clouds moving in. By the time we got back home (I only live about 2-2.5 miles from the start line, and only half a mile from the two-mile point) the rain was coming down hard. I changed out of my singlet and put on a long sleeved top, figuring that, since it was cold and raining hard, I would need to stay warm. At the start of the race, while I was getting into the starting area, the sun came out. It felt like the temperature went up 10°, although I know that it probably didn't actually go up at all. So, I ran the race in a heavy, long sleeved top, and regretted it.

the first mile was, as usual, too fast. Under 6 for the first mile, but that was mainly because I wa trying to get out of the crowd. A thousand people crowded into a two-lane road makes it difficult to get moving, so you move when and where you can. I don't remember muco more of the first two miles of the race, except Sandy and Oed cheering for me at the two-mile point, yelling "Go, you fat old man!"

Just like last year, I fell apart after the four-mile point. There's a long upgrade starting somewhere after the 4.5 mile point and running almost to the five mile point. At the end of the steepest section (the first thirty yards), someone was yelling "You're almost at the top" when we actually had another 700 or so yards to go uphill. My sudden decline at 4-5 miles was not quite as bad as that of aonther man I passed at that point. He stopped to vomit at the side of the road. He then started running again, and almost immediately started to vomit again. I didn't see what happened to him.

My finish was pretty good. 44:39, for 24th in my age group, and 149th overall. Top 15% of the finishers. That's pretty good, especially considering that my "long" training runs these days have been 7 miles, with the majority being 4 miles. It is time, however, for an increase in mileage, starting with this week. As soon as I plot out a few new routes.

I ran my 4 mile route backwards today, and it was like running a new route. It was cool, about 44°, but with almost no wind and no rain. A good morning run.

No comments:

Post a Comment