Sunday, January 09, 2005

Accidentally took a long run

I set out to take a run of about 3.5 miles this morning. I got a map of the area from Expedia and plotted out the route I would take. When I got partway out, I discovered that the road I intended to take did not run all the way through. In fact, it stopped about a quarter-mile from the turn onto the street. Rather than retracing my steps, I went farther on, knowing about a major road that I hadn't crossed yet, and that I could follow to a cross street that would lead me back to familiar territory. I ended up going about 4.5 miles. Still felt pretty good, although very tired. It did give me a chance to help out a very nice couple who were lost. I was able to give them directions to the street they were looking for, so maybe it happened for a reason. Or maybe it was just a random occurrence which gave me the opportunity to do something nice for someone else.

I bought gloves the other day, and today was my first chance to use them. They're simple, canvas work gloves, but the weave is tight enough to keep the wind from getting through too much. My hands stayed pretty warm the whole time I was running. Maybe I'll get a few pairs of these gloves; if, in a race, my hands get too warm, I can just take the gloves off and drop them. When you pay a dollar for a pair of gloves, it really doesn't bother you too much to lose them.

No comments:

Post a Comment