Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Cold.

The last five years spent in Atlanta must have sensitized me to the cold--this morning it was 8 degrees outside, and it was just too cold for me to get in any mileage. BAck when I lived in the Great White North, 8 degrees wouldn't have been much of a problem. I would have just worn warmer clothing. Now, I couldn't even make 1 mile in this weather.

I remember putting small screws into the bottoms of my running shoes the get traction on the ice. Two in each heel, four in each forefoot. Since I replaced my shoes in the spring, the damage to the soles didn't really matter. Those shoes wold become the shoes I wore to do things like mow the lawn or paint the house or other shoe-staining work.

Of course, it may be just that I'm getting older, and now I feel the cold more intensely. The cold weather and reading small print are two things which frequently remind me of my aging. Of course, my kids getting older serves as a reminder, but that seems so gradual--it's not constantly reminding me.

I recently went out and had a few drinks with my roommate from college, and we discussed this. He's worn glasses all his life, so for him it's just the most recent change in prescription. Since I've never worn any kind of corrective lenses, suddenly needing some help reading labels (when I used to be able to read a handwritten page from across a five-lane road) is a jarring reminder of my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment