Thursday, June 09, 2005

Timing is off

My inspiration for today:

"The goal of the runner is not health. His objective is the fitness necessary for maximal performance. Health is something the runner goes through on his way to fitness."
--George Sheehan, Running and Being

I find that running is easier on my foot when I run in the afternoon. I got in about 2-2.5 miles with my daughter last night. Tonight I'm going to try for a 3 miler after I get home. That'll probably be late tonight, since my son has a soccer practice tonight at 7:15.

This week has been the week from hell (hebdomas horriblis) for me when it comes to technology. Earlier this week, I spent about two days cleaning the malware out of our home computer. I still don't think it's all gone, but our firewall is stopping access to the internet from the two remaining programs. I had some trouble with the dryer this week--gremlins or something opened the door after about 5 minutes of the cycle. I tried to get my cell phone switched from a NYC area code to a Rochester area code--the customer service person sent me a SIMM that was set up for a Rochester area code and a Manhattan ZIP code--the SIMM could not be activated, and my phone does not work. That night, the "Check Engine" light in the car came on--it just needs a new PCV valve, and we're having some preventive maintenance done--when the car is over 104,000 you can't be too careful. Now today, my battery-powered toothbrush fell apart in my mouth. Fortunately, we had a spare in its package available. And just to add one (hopefully) final kick, today, while I was riding the elevator down at lunch, the car stopped on the 12th floor, the doors opened about an inch, and the car just shut down. Again, I was fortunate in that the doors closed and the elevator started to function again after a few minutes, but I'm almost ready to go live in a hut in the woods somewhere and never use anything electronic again.

No comments:

Post a Comment