Friday, April 01, 2005

I was right.

Well, it turns out that I was right about the route I ran yesterday. What I thought was about 4 is actually almost 5.5 miles. With that kind of skill at underestimating distances, I could be a coach.

That’s a reference to something that happened in college, where the coach was preparing us for a cross-country meet. He had us getting ready for a 4.3 mile race. The race had always been 4.3 miles, since the meet was first run. As it turned out, the race course had been slightly modified that year, and the course was now a 10K. The coach had missed that fact when he entered us into the meet. We each found out as we rounded the 4 mile point, thinking that we just had a quarter mile dash to the finish line, when we actually had just under 2 miles to go. We did all run PRs that day.

The next year, the race went back to being 4.3 miles.

Rest day today. Tomorrow, if the park isn't underwater, I'm going to run in Wolfe's Pond Park before going in to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment